Does nobody read this group? Was Re: Serial ports and ...

Jim Logan logan at inpnms.UUCP
Fri Mar 9 11:55:28 AEST 1990

In article <9023 at shlump.nac.dec.com> jnelson at gauche.enet.dec.com
(Jeff E. Nelson) writes:
# >No problem, other than the fact that about 1/3rd of the
# >messages that I see on this group actually come from me or my
# >colleagues! Is there a lot of stuff over in the US that doesn't
# >make it across the Pond, or does nobody read this group?
#
# Rather, a summary of responses or even a little more discussion
# would be nice.

I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.

Maybe I can get the ball rolling in this newsgroup with a simple
question.  Can anyone tell me how painful it is to use disk drives
and QIC tape drives from other vendors under A/UX?

My local dealer is over-charging me for everything, and I'm not
confident that he knows what he's doing when in comes to A/UX,
therefore I'll be buying the IIci and A/UX on tape from him (the
cheapest place around) and buy the RAM upgrade, 300MB disk, and
150MB QIC tape drive through mail-order.

I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
drive so I can use it sometimes?

			Thanks in advance,
			-Jim Logan
--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms at uunet.uu.net
(301) 590-3198