A/UX Release 2.0

David W. Berry dwb at archer.apple.com
Tue Mar 20 06:16:25 AEST 1990

In article <306 at digigw.lab.digital.co.jp> gday at digigw.lab.digital.co.jp (Gordon Day) writes:
>Perhaps some of you can enlighten me here.  I had made the (obviously mistaken)
>assumption that A/UX was a BSD4.3 derivative.  If this is not so, will I be in
>for a nightmare when I move from SunOS4.0.3 to a Mac running A/UX 2.0?
	Nope.  It's SVR2, plus berkeley enhancements.  The enhancements
	include almost anything you'd want.  I've ported a wide variety
	of programs specifically designed to BSD and had no problems.

>Is the X option available from Apple really just the standard release with yet
>another TWM lookalike?
	There are now two X products available from Apple.  MacX a MacOS
	version that also runs under A/UX and a "native" X port which only
	runs under A/UX.  MacX uses the Macintosh window manager for X
	windows or can display a "normal" X desktop in a Mac window.

>What are the mechanics of launching a Finder app from the A/UX side?
	Double click on it, or type it's name on the command line.

>I plan on running a number of IIci's with X on A/UX together with Sun 4/80s so
>I would like to mount the A/UX /usr on a Sun server.  Will the A/UX side be
>happy with this?
	Sure, we do several similar things here.