A/UX Release 2.0

Gordon Day gday at digigw.lab.digital.co.jp
Fri Mar 16 18:15:28 AEST 1990

In article <729 at ncis.tis.llnl.gov>, tjt at lance.tis.llnl.gov (Tim Tessin) writes:
> In article <16611 at well.sf.ca.us> jng at well.sf.ca.us (James N. Gershfield) writes:
> >
> > Hello, world.  Does anyone know whether the upcoming Release
> > 2.0 of A/UX will be compatible with AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX?
> > Is the new A/UX a complete rewrite of A/UX 1.1?
> > What are the major differences between A/UX 1.1 and 2.0?

> Think of AUX 2.0 as a Mac OS system which just happens to run UNIX underneath.
> Almost any properly written MAC program should run.

> The point of all this is to look just like a MacOS
> and never have to know you are running UNIX [I'm not sure I like it, but then,

> I don't know the heritage of the UNIX port other than what is already
> known about AUX 1.1.
>
> Tim Tessin
> tjt at lance.tis.llnl.gov

> I don't know the heritage of the UNIX port other than what is already

Perhaps some of you can enlighten me here.  I had made the (obviously mistaken)
assumption that A/UX was a BSD4.3 derivative.  If this is not so, will I be in
for a nightmare when I move from SunOS4.0.3 to a Mac running A/UX 2.0?

Is the X option available from Apple really just the standard release with yet
another TWM lookalike?

What are the mechanics of launching a Finder app from the A/UX side?

How buggy is the current release, and with the new features, what's the guess
on the next release?

I plan on running a number of IIci's with X on A/UX together with Sun 4/80s so
I would like to mount the A/UX /usr on a Sun server.  Will the A/UX side be
happy with this?

Any comments/answers would be MOST welcome.

Gordon W. Day =:! (gday%digital.co.jp at uunetuu.net)