A/UX Release 2.0

Tim Tessin tjt at lance.tis.llnl.gov
Tue Mar 13 09:01:19 AEST 1990

In article <16611 at well.sf.ca.us> jng at well.sf.ca.us (James N. Gershfield) writes:

> Hello, world.  Does anyone know whether the upcoming Release
> 2.0 of A/UX will be compatible with AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX?
> Is the new A/UX a complete rewrite of A/UX 1.1?
> What are the major differences between A/UX 1.1 and 2.0?

Think of AUX 1.1 as a UNIX system with some Mac toolbox stuff thrown in
to play with.

Think of AUX 2.0 as a Mac OS system which just happens to run UNIX underneath.
Almost any properly written MAC program should run.
Hacks like hfx are no longer needed.  Lots of on-line help, etc.
The point of all this is to look just like a MacOS
and never have to know you are running UNIX [I'm not sure I like it, but then,
I'm an old UNIX hack].  Clearly meets the goals of being able to shove a
UNIX system on an old MAC'er with minimum frustration.

I don't know the heritage of the UNIX port other than what is already
known about AUX 1.1.

Tim Tessin
tjt at lance.tis.llnl.gov