A/UX Release 2.0 (long)

David Berry dwb at sticks.apple.com
Fri Mar 23 06:01:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.152002.15159 at athena.mit.edu> vpsingha at athena.mit.edu (Vivek P. Singhal) writes:
>In article <14743 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> oberst at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>(Daniel J. Oberst) writes:
>>Some early reactions of an A/UX 2.0 beta tester:
>>[long description deleted].
>
>Even after reading numerous postings about the power of the A/UX
>operating environment, I still haven't seen the answer to one
>question: under A/UX 2.0, can applications be written that take
>advantage of BOTH the Macintosh toolbox and Unix library calls (e.g.
>fork ())?  Can such "hybrid" programs be written with existing tools
>like MPW?  Or, are programs that use the Mac toolbox restricted to
>residing in the "compatibility" layer, unable to use the
>multiprocessing (and other) capabilities of Unix?
	Yes, a hybrid program can be written to take advantage of
the toolbox and unix libraries both.  CommandShell (the by now infamous
terminal emulator) is one such program.  The documentation suite includes,
"A/UX Toolbox" which contains complete information on how to do it.
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb at apple.com