Does nobody read this group? Was Re: Serial ports and ...

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.UUCP
Sun Mar 11 07:41:18 AEST 1990

In article <235 at inpnms.UUCP> logan at inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes:
>I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
>to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
>purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.
>I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
>SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
>a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
>anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
>external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
>drive so I can use it sometimes?

It supports most, you should check with the vendor. The vendor's
partitioning software may not support A/UX but you can use the
dp utility to hack around this. Formatting a big disk should be no
problem, but using the vendors format program (under the MacOS) will
work just as well (maybe not counting partitions as above). The SCSI
tape stuff only works with the Apple tape drive as far as I know,
but there are other vendors who sell A/UX compatble tapes with drivers,
I haven't used any so I can't recommend. Yes you can boot from an
external drive. Yes you can leave the finder etc on a MacOS partition to
boot sometimes

	Paul Campbell
	(posted from my A/UX system)

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
Remember 1990? that was the year the US government funded a Communist election