Multifinder under Unix! A/UX 2.0 Desktop PICT

Chris Lishka programmer at large lishka at uwslh.slh.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 25 01:42:44 AEST 1990

jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>  Below is a uuencoded PICT file showing what Multifinder looks
>like running under A/UX 2.0. The picture is wider than 8 inches
>so some programs, like SuperPaint 2.0, truncate it. Other
>programs, like MacDraw 1.9.6, crash or hang. At least two
>programs I know of, MacDraw II and Apple's PICTViewer, work
>fine.

>    ---Jason
>-----

The April 1990 (i.e. latest) issue of Byte has a sidebar on A/UX 2.0
(page 113).  It contains the following quote about A/UX and MultiFinder:\

	Note, however, that multiple tasks under MultiFinder will
	not run reliably in conjunction with A/UX.  According to
	Apple's product managers for A/UX, the Unix preemptive
	schedular can "bring down MultiFinder."

This seems to imply that MultiFinder can only run one task at a time
under A/UX.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Somebody said to me, `But the Beatles were
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene  antimaterialistic.'  That's a huge myth.  John