A/UX Release 2.0 (long)

Amanda Walker amanda at mermaid.intercon.com
Tue Mar 27 15:42:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar26.212747.11274 at smurf.sub.org>, urlichs at smurf.sub.org
(Matthias Urlichs) writes:
> but whether you could write a MacOS application (and/or standalone code
> resource, like an XCMD/XFCN for Hypercard) which happens to use A/UX system
> calls, including fork/exec.

Technically, yes, but there is so far no development environment that
supports such hybrid development.  For example, the A/UX version of our
product (which is now more or less obsolete, since MacTCP is supported under
A/UX 2.0) is a Macintosh binary, built with MPW 3.0, that does A/UX system
calls to do I/O to UNIX sockets.  What we did was a hack--at the time,
MACDTS said (somewhat reluctantly :-)) that it was the best approach.  It
works best with system calls, and not so well with library routines (but
most of these are supplied by MPW anyway):

Step 1: decide what calls you need.
Step 2: extract the object files you need from libc.a using 'ar'.
Step 3: disassemble these object files into 68000 assembly code.
Step 4: massage the resulting assembly code into a form acceptable to the
	MPW assembler (this isn't too hard), and assemble into an MPW
	object file.
Step 5: link with your application.

As I said, it's a hack, but it works.

Amanda Walker