Networking problems with aux..

Greg Vesper - RMS vesper at palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 7 06:13:51 AEST 1990

I'm a Sun systems programmer who has had an a/ux problem dropped in my
lap.  This is the problem:

I have a IIx running aux on its internal hard drive in a networked
environment.  This box also has an external Rodime hard drive with
aux installed.  The desktop boots off the internal drive and comes
up with two separate aux icons, one for each hard drive.  Fine.

The problem:
If I run aux off the external drive, I cannot get access to the network.
I spent the last day trying to reconfigure aux on this drive so that I
might get access to my network, but alas, no go.

All the necessary files and services seem to be operational, but when I
attempt "remsh <other host>", I get the following message:

	Network is unreachable.

I have compared the configuration files between the two drives, but have
not been able to resolve the problem.  Does the external drive need a
reconfigured kernel which recognizes the ethernet card?  I swapped
kernels between the two drives and still had the same problem.

So how can I get to the network from my external drive??

Possible Workaround:

Could I simply run aux off my internal drive and then mount the partitions
of the external drive in order to gain acces to those aux files.

I succeeded in doing this for the root partition of the external drive,
but the remaining partition refused to mount.  Any clues as to why?

I have scant documentation and no aux experience.

Gregory W. Vesper
RMS Technologies
Greenbelt, Maryland

email: vesper at palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov