A/UX Release 2.0

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Mar 30 08:10:48 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <692 at starnine.UUCP>,
  kalash at starnine.UUCP (Joe Kalash) writes:
< In article <1990Mar20.181959.16435 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
< >
< >Is there a decent Mac-like text editor? Or the functional equivalent to the
< >MPW Shell? (Long list of superb MPW shell features, sadly missing from Unix,
< >omitted.)
<
< I am curious, what is your long list of superb features? I use MPW
< these days, and I spend my time being annoyed at the features missing
< from it that I commonly use under UNIX (although MPW is certainly faster,
< without a question).
<
Equally curious, what UNIX features do you miss from MPW?

What I like most about MPW that's simply not there under Unix:
- The "selection file" (filename.<Paragraph>).
- Mac-like editing. Ever use copy/paste under X Windows?
- Metacharacters that are really meta, i.e. have the eight bit set.
- Commando. (Yes, that'll be in A/UX 2.0, but when will _I_ get A/UX 2.0 ??)
- Selecting something and sending it off to whatever tool wants my input
  today, simply by pressing "Enter".
- (some other people are sure to come up with some more features...)
<
< Disclaimer: StarNine knows nothing about what I am saying.
Neither do I know anything about what _I_'m saying.
--
Matthias Urlichs