Lisa and Unix

Tim Monroe phlos-ac at violet.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 19 10:47:28 AEST 1990

> I have heard that there was once a version of Unix System V for the Lisa.
> I have a 2/10 sitting in the corner and would love to use it for something
> if you know where I can get this or who wrote it I would appreciate if you
> would let me know.  I thought the person I heard it from stated it was
> written by UniSoft. (bill at mousetrap.canton.mi.us)

Actually, at one time there were two different commercially-available
implementations of UNIX for the Apple Lisa, UniPlus+ (from UniSoft)
and XENIX (from SCO). I have used both: I paid for XENIX, but later
got a job with UniSoft and was introduced to UniPlus+. UniPlus+ is
technically a far better product, for reasons too lengthy to cover here.

UniPlus+ is standard System V with Berkeley extensions (NOT System III, as a
but I was able to port just about everything I wanted, including a lot
of Berkeley utilities, kermit, ditroff, TranScript, and on and on. (I used
UniPlus+ on the Lisa for several years, until I got a Mac II.)
Berkeley networking was available internally at UniSoft; I don't think
it made it into the commercial version (but I could be wrong).

My latest information is that SCO is no longer supporting their product.
UniPlus+ for the Lisa should still be available through UniPress software
(in New Jersey?). If you get UniPlus+ running, let me know so I can send
you copies of public domain stuff I ported.
Tim Monroe		phlos-ac at ucbviolet.berkeley.edu
Apple Computer, Inc.	AppleLink: MONROE