A/UX device drivers

Christopher Gabler gabler at oakhill.UUCP
Thu Mar 22 05:39:16 AEST 1990

I am in the process of writing a device driver for a General Purpose InterfaceBus in a Mac II.  The operating system used is A/UX 1.1. I have purchased the APDA A/UX Device Drivers kit and several supportive books on the Mac II hardware and Unix.  I have had many difficulties using the present resources in programming the driver and correctly installing it in the A/UX kernel.

The kinds of problems I am encountering are in using the example TEST driver. The example TEST routines from the kit are present in the /usr/src/device_drivers/1.1/TEST directory.  Using both of the available Makefiles (one in the text, and a slightly different one in the software)  the new autoconfiged kernel cannot physically find the "TEST" device.

Variations in the autoconfig routine can place the TEST device as a module in the kernel.  This is seen by using the command "module_dump /unix".  Listing the contents of /dev also shows the TEST device with others like console and tty, etc.  However, if I try to open the device TEST, I get an error "device notfound".  I am also using the "launch -n" command in the sash when I startup the A/UX.

I have also noticed a strange occurrence when the autoconfig routine loads the TEST device in the list of device modules.  The Apple ethercard (already present) is excluded from the listing of startup devices.  When this happens, I lose my ethernet access.  The autoconfiguration routine is of the format "autoconfig -o /testunix -L loadfile -S /etc/startup -M /etc/master".

Christopher T. Gabler					+
Motorola Inc.							+
6501 Wm. Cannon Drive West  MS OE28		+
Austin, TX  78735-8598					+