A/UX and System 7

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Wed Apr 24 11:10:16 AEST 1991

In article <wc56Ube00Uh7I2elg7 at andrew.cmu.edu> jc5e+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan D. Cohen) writes:
>Repeat of prior message (Title got lost in last one):
>
>I am contemplating "coming aboard" the A/UX platform.  However, I would
>like to know if A/UX will support/be compatible with System 7?  Does
>A/UX run its own version of Multifinder, or does it "pick up" the
>current (resident) Mac system?  Thanks in advance for any information (and
>tolerance of my ignorance).

A/UX has it's own special version of MultiFinder, actually based a lot
on the MF 6.1b9 (the one used with SADE for instance). If you check
the additional menu entries like logout and CommandShell there was
a need for some additional functionality.

Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
to route these calls.

I'm sure this question will pop up once a month, but I have done my
duty :-).

Kent Sandvik, MacDTS

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored