A/UX and System 7

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Sat Apr 27 14:22:49 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Apr24.111305.454 at skbat.csc.ti.com>,
  dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
< In article <51916 at apple.Apple.COM>, ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
< > Now speaking about System 7, A/UX traps all kinds of A-line traps that
< > the apps and standalone code (inits, DAs, CDEVs...) trigger. Any System
< > 7 specific traps and glue can't be handled by A/UX, i.e. it does
< > not understand for instance anything with the Edition Manager, and how
< > to route these calls.
< >
Hmmm, I thought the Edition Manager and things are just new A-line traps.
Shouldn't they get dispatched just fine?

The file system stuff or some of the manager fixes might be more hairy.
And of course you shouldn't play with the PMMU under A/UX...

< Kent, here's a related question:  Will we be able to launch A/UX from
< System 7.0 any time soon?

Personally, I think that's uninteresting; you can always shove a floppy into
the machine. A small system with sash and launch fits on an 800k floppy and
you can have the search path point back to your hard disk.

OK, let's say it's uninteresting when compared to being able to run System 7
under A/UX. I think I already said that that feature is necessary for some
people (including me ;-) so I'll spare you this time...

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/