Trouble with newfs under 2.0

Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more ksand at Apple.COM
Tue Apr 30 11:55:06 AEST 1991

In article <281BB859.16991 at orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>What induces newfs to announce ".....preposterous size -1" in response to
>newfs -v /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 MN330 ?
>/dev/dsk/c6d0s3 was created using mknod per the instructions
>provided by Vicky Brown of Apple and posted here some months (?)
>ago.  The command was accepted without error, the disk partition
>having been created with Silverlining as Random A/UX.  /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3
>was also created at the same time.  The disk is a Wren Runner,
>which I've been told is equivalent to (same as) a Micronet 330.  The
>partition in question is the 244-odd M left over after installation
>of the aux root filesystem.

Hello, newfs does not have such message, it's mkfs which has this
error message, and it's usually triggered when the last block can't
be accessed. Check the file system size, if you give false numbers
to mkfs it can't read the last blocks. Don't know if this helps though.

Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.