Raw (More or Less) Ethernet Access in A/UX?

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Thu Apr 11 06:42:31 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <10944 at bunny.GTE.COM>,
  dcr0 at harvey.gte.com (David Robbins) writes:
< We have a peculiar Ethernet protocol that I am considering porting to A/UX.
< Question:  does there exist a capability to speak to the Ethernet driver on
< A/UX 2.0 at a level more primitive than a raw IP socket?  Something along the
< lines of Sun's NIT or the Berkeley enetfilter (aka Ultrix 4.0 packetfilter)?
< Or has Apple carefully hidden the Ethernet interface behind TCP/IP in order to
< idiot-proof it (and, in the process, rendering it less useful for us weirdos)?

Hmm, the Device Driver's kit has source code to the Ethernet driver, which
has something called ETHERLINK in it, which seems to do what you want. Search
for ETHERLINK in the header files (/usr/include/*/*).

Caveat (from said source code): if you open an [AP]F_ETHERLINK socket, you'll
have to bind an IP address to it so that it can find the correct interface to
send to.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/