Increasing the number of processes

Antonio Ordonez antonio at Apple.COM
Fri Apr 12 09:17:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr11.002937.2503 at agate.berkeley.edu> stevew at mammoth.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen Williams) writes:

>        I'm trying to increase the number of processes on my A/UX 2.0.1 system,
>but am having little luck.  I used kconfig to increase the total number of
>processes (NPROC) to 200 and the maximum number of user processes (MAXUP)
>to 100.

I decided to do a follow up instead of private mail since I got the
same question on the phone today from a customer of the A/UX Hotline.

I increased the values for both variables in my system and both work as
expected.  He was getting an error

"No more processes" or "Killed" when trying to execute a program.

If you were running out of entries in the process table the kernel
error message would go to the console and give you

"proc: table is full"

In his case the problem was that he was actually running out of
entries in the memory regions table. The reason why the errors weren't
seen is that the scripts that he is using to start X11 don't redirect
the error messages intented for the console to the X11 console.

The scripts included with the XWindow System for A/UX redirect the output
correctly.

Try doing a tail -f /dev/oldmsgs on the X11 console window and see if
you get any error messages there.

Hope this helps

Antonio

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /