Is A/UX Mature?

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.UUCP
Wed Apr 17 04:33:03 AEST 1991

In article <1530 at ucl-cs.uucp> J.Purchase at cs.ucl.ac.uk (Jan Purchase) writes:
>c) Why can one not change the speed of a serial port which does not
>have a getty process associated with it (e.g., one connected
>to a outgoing only modem)?  commands like:
>	stty -n /dev/modem 1200
>or:
>	stty 1200 < /dev/modem
>which are quoted in SVR2 text books have no effect. A/UX just keeps
>the line speed at the default 9600 baud.

Whenever you close a serial port (ie all processes that have it open
close it) it resets the port's state (including baud rate and all the
settings - with the exclusion of the apple defined ones like -modem).
This is standard SVR2 (despite what the books might say). Every Unix I've
ever used did the same thing ...

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P

"But don't we all deserve.
 More than a kinder and gentler fuck" - Two Nice Girls, "For the Inauguration"