Problems with network routing under 2.0.1

Ron Flax ron at afsg.apple.com
Tue Jun 4 09:19:28 AEST 1991

In article <433 at aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU> beser at aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Nick Beser) writes:
>upgrade was complete (postinstall), I was no longer able to get
>routing information through my gateway computer. I saw some messages
>in this group concerning adding an explicit routing command, and tried it.

It sounds like you are trying to use A/UX as an IP forwarder.  If that
is so then read on... otherwise hit 'n' now.

In A/UX 2.0.1 IP forwarding has been turned off in the kernel by
default whereas it was turned on in 2.0 and previous releases.  To turn
it back on do the following:

afsg.root 16# adb -w -k /unix /dev/kmem
a.out file = /unix (COFF format)
core file = /dev/kmem
ready
ipforwarding?D
ipforwarding:   0
ipforwarding?W 1
ipforwarding:   0x0             =       0x1
$w
$q
afsg.root 17#

The reason IP forwarding was turned off is because some RFC says that
"hosts" should not arbitrarily become "routers".  With /etc/in.routed
and IP forwarding turned on that's what can happen.

Hope this helps.

--
Ron Flax
ron at afsg.apple.com