Request for Info...

Andrew Dwelly dwelly at saddle-lk.cs.UAlberta.CA
Fri Jun 7 03:02:09 AEST 1991

Request for information/opinions :

I may shortly be starting a job to write some scientific software for
a local company, and part of my brief is the selection of the Hardware/OS
combination. A number of factors make Unix a good choice for the OS, and the
company owns some Mac 2CI's (? I'm not terribly familiar with Mac model
numbers).

I managed to see a Mac SE/30 running AUX and was rather surprised at the very
low speed of interaction. For example, there was a significant pause involved
in opening the bin folder/directory (accompanied with a great deal of
chattering from the drives). AUX does not seem to be used much locally and
a number of my questions went unanswered. If anybody out there has either
opinions or information on the following list I would apreciate hearing
from them.

How does the performance of AUX stack up against MacOs on the 2CI's ?

How much disk space is "adequate" for AUX ?

Can 3rd party disk drives be used ?

Is it possible to run gcc, g++, gnu emacs under AUX ?

Are any of the usual Unix (Open look, Motif, X....) GUI's available ?

To what extent does Apple support AUX users ?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Dwelly