Accessing a LaserWriter from A/UX *and* MacOS

Steve Green steveg at melmac.umd.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:15:39 AEST 1991

In article <1285 at creatures.cs.vt.edu> alanlb at csgrad.cs.vt.edu (Alan L. Batongbacal) writes:
>I have a LaserWriter which needs to be accessible from A/UX, MacOS,
>an Amiga running SVR4, and a NeXT machine.  How do I hook things
>up?  The Amiga and NeXT machines are both capable of BSD 'lpr' style
>printing.  Thanks!
>
>-alan l. batongbacal

	1.  The best way to do it is to put the laserwriter on localtalk
	    with the MacOS machines.  Then, the AUX machine and run an lpr
	    server for itself and the other UNIX machines.  If your MacOS
	    macs have ethernet, then you will need a router of some sort
	    for the printer.

	2.  Wolongong sells an lpr server for the MacOS.  1 of the macs
	    could run an lpr server for the UNIX machines.  The other macs
	    would just use ethertalk.  (This would work with localtalk
	    if you had a router as well, but why would you want to..)

	3.  Use CAP as a printer "gateway".  1 AUX machine runs cap and
	    makes lpr printers available to MacOS machines.

Thats about all I can think of.  There may be an lpr driver for the MacOS
but I dont know of any.

Silica gel -- Do not eat.				steveg at melmac.umd.edu

Disclaimer:  If anything I said above is incorrect, never mind.