How to install Emacs? (wuarchive's Emacs... Grr.)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Wed Jun 12 19:20:04 AEST 1991

In article <7796 at segue.segue.com> gene at segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.082617.13976 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>While the software appears to work with A/UX
>>the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
>>enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
>>I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
>                   ^^^^^^
>The author in this case is Richard Stallman.

Oh, please. The author of those non-installation non-instructions is whoever
did that (otherwise seemingly decent) port. RMS' documentation is a lot longer
than one line, though it's not a perfect model of clarity either. On the
other hand, at least I was able to get it running after reading his docs.

>[long and endlessly-rehashed stuff about GNU's distaste for Apple repeated
>here yet again]

I feel this tremendous urge to flame this guy, yet-

>I can understand your frustration when things don't work right for
>you, but flaming the author makes no sense in this case.

...he seems to be well-intentioned. So I'll limit it to my annoyance as
already expressed.

For the record, we all know all about RMS and GNU and Apple.

The Emacs I was talking about, which was FTP'd from wuarchive (as I said),
is supposed to be plug'n'play, and it's not. That's the cause of the tone
of my previous post.

Anyway, I suspect Richard T. told me all I need to know. I'll have to get
to it tomorrow...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis at panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis