Minor incompatibility between Cnews and A/UX (possible Cnews bug)

Henry Spencer henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Thu Jun 27 01:26:46 AEST 1991

In article <878 at taniwha.UUCP> paul at taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>>Also, quite interestingly, I've discovered that egrep seems to be _much_
>>slower than grep at doing this.
>
>this is why there are 3 greps fgrep is faster than grep is faster than egrep,

Not true.  For small jobs, grep is sometimes the fastest of the lot,
competing with egrep, and fgrep is *dead last*.  For big jobs, egrep is
usually fastest *unless* you are searching for a bunch of fixed strings,
in which case fgrep wins.

The slow-egrep problem originally discussed here is a bug, not a feature.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry at zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry