How to install Emacs? (wuarchive's Emacs... Grr.)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Jun 9 18:26:17 AEST 1991

Maybe I was spoiled by Cnews, nn, or by the various GNU C, GDB, G++ binaries
on wuarchive. But when I took the latest GNU EMACS from wuarchive, I was
very unpleasntly surprised. While the software appears to work with A/UX
the installation instructions, which consist of one incorrect line, are
enough to make me want to tear out my hair. (Wait, why should I suffer?
I'll tear out the author's hair...) The instructions say, "type make in the
emacs directory." This does _NOT_ work. Perhaps if there were some indication
as to what the name of that directory were supposed to be, it might?

I understand that this stuff was provided free, w/o warrantee, etc. But if
you're going to claim that things work a certain way is it too much to ask
that they in fact do work that way?

After messing around with the original GNU documentation for a while I was
sort of able to make things work. But I'm not pleased with the results.
I have a typical /usr/local tree containing bin, lib, and src. But emacs
doesn't seem to want to fit into this mold. I wound up with the entire emacs
distribution in /usr/local/lib, which is not right.

The bottom line is, I don't want to become an emacs expert. I'd just like
to get the binaries working. I'd like to throw out the sources once I'm done.
How can I do this, starting from the kit I got from wuarchive?

BTW, the version I finally managed to make work doesn't support vt100 arrow
keys. (vi does.) Anyone know how I can enable this?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis at panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis