problems with cu

Jan Purchase J.Purchase at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 04:58:52 AEST 1991

Hello,

I am experiencing some problems with /usr/bin/cu, and I'd be very
grateful for any help.

Firstly, I have been advised that it is good practice to prevent the
uucp spool directory from being world writable. So I made it mode 775:
	drwxrwxr-x   3 uucp uucp  512 Jun 10 18:25 /usr/spool/uucp
(A/UX 2.0.1 standard is mode 777). Now however, when disconnecting
from a cu session (as a non privileged user), I get the message:
	Can't unlink lock-file
The lock file, /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..*, is owned by root with mode 400.
It was created by cu (which runs setuid root), so why can't it be
unlinked by cu? Oddly, the problem does not occur if I run cu as root
(or uucp). Equally oddly, the lock file does *not* stop cu from
opening other sessions on the same device! It does, however stop
kermit, which is very inconvenient.

A second and (I think) unrelated problem concerns the way cu works
when given a system name as an argument. cu does not appear to follow
the instructions for logging on to a uucp neighbour as listed in
/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys - it doesn't even attempt to (modem SD and RD
lights do not flicker). Yet, uucico will obey the commands (indicating
that the L.sys file itself is not flawed).

Any Ideas?

Cheers
Jan.