Major problems with A/UX serial drivers?

Alfredo Moncayo monk at monk.ctg.Tandem.COM
Thu Jun 27 04:43:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.153544.1186 at panix.uucp> you write:

|> Ever since the upgrade to 2.0.1, or a little after, we have experienced
|> system crashes every few days. They'd be more frequent, but we reboot
|> when we see symptoms appear, if we're around when they become evident.
|> The crashes are all clist panics. The pre-crash symptoms are loss of
|> character input or output. For long periods, terminals will go dead, only to
|> behave normally for a second or two, and then go dead again. This behavior
|> is observable on the console, in the CommandShell windows, and on built-in
|> and add-on serial ports. The machine itself seems fine though- running
|> processes behave normally, logging no errors, the file system's OK, etc.
|>
|> ---
|> Alexis Rosen
|> Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
|> alexis at panix.com
|> {cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

Last week I posted a plea for help on what appears to be the same problem
as yours.  After installation of 2.0.1 everything worked fine for about 2
weeks.  Then, much as you've described it, my machine just hangs periodically -
sometimes the screen blanks, other times (especially while running X11) it'll
just stop accepting input to the xterms, etc.  I'm not exactly sure it is
related to serial ports, given that my machine is a standalone unit on our
net, with no other regular users.  I do use a modem though.  I can't seem to
come up with anything that may be causing these system freezes - no error
logs, no cores, nothing at all!  I have found that it happens most frequently
when there has been no activity on the machine for some time (weekends and
evenings in particular).

...maybe 2.0 wasn't so bad after all...

---
Al Moncayo				Tandem Computers, Inc.