Maxtor drives: Summary of comments

Tom Nezwek IO91461 at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
Thu Jun 27 02:36:06 AEST 1991

       The LXT-340s is really a miniscribe designed hd.  It was part
 of miniscribe's 4th generation R&D that never made it out the door.
 When Maxtor bought Miniscribe's assets, It got all the R&D work on
 these new 3.5" drives now made by maxtor under the model LXT.  I bet
 big money that those people with problems, all had Maxtor's 5 1/4"
 full-height XT series.  They, I am told, are available refurbished
 in imense quantities because their MTBF is more like 1,000 rather than
 150,000 hours.  I have owned an LXT-340s for about a month with no
 problems.  Its faster and much quieter than the quantums.  (I've had
 many great quantum drives in the past!)  I get 1.45meg/sec from my
 LXT-340s which might qualify it as a "SCREAMER"...

                             -Tom