Major problems with A/UX serial drivers?

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Jun 28 11:40:29 AEST 1991

marcelo at deadzone.uucp (Marcelo Gallardo) writes:
>alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>And do any
>>other A/UX sites which use serial I/O ever see problems like this?
>
>	I've experienced similar problems as well (although they aren't
>	happening as often now). But I never had the patience to sit and
>	wait to see if the port ever came back to life even for a
>	moment.

The problems start small, at least sometimes. So for a while, you wonder
whether you're just not hitting the keyboard keys hard enough.

>	I had noticed that this generally happened when two precesses
>	tried to grab the port at the same time, or even when the port
>	was being used, and your UUPOLL script (wonderful script BTW)
>	tried to access the port.

(Thanks!) Could you go into more detail on this? The whole point of that
script was to _not_ do any damage if something else owns the port that the
script is trying to use. If that weren't the case here, this system would
be completely unusable- we're dialing in and out all the time.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis at panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis