Using A/UX to build MacOS applications

Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more ksand at Apple.COM
Mon Jun 10 12:52:58 AEST 1991

In article <867 at taniwha.UUCP> paul at taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:
>In article <GERSON.91Jun7135216 at dupin.parc.xerox.com>,
>gerson at parc.xerox.com (Dan Gerson) writes:
>|> I'd like to be able to use A/UX as a programming environment for
>building standard
>
>|> 1) Is there a way to translate COFF into CODE resources?  If there isn't, is
>|> there any real reason why I couldn't write such a beast?
>
>No not really, this is because most Unix compilers/linkers (including
>the A/UX ones) don't make position independant code (PIC), this is mostly
>because PIC code often runs slower (and data is a real pain). CODE resources
>need PIC code and a compiler that understands how to build an 'a5 world'
>I recomend you use MPW or some such

Paul, yes that's right, I totally forgot the issue with position dependent
code. As a good example, check the binaries in the sash bin folder, those
are genuine A/UX apps moved over to the MacOS environment, and they want
to get loaded somewhere around 639k, so that's the reason some systems
that have increased their system heap zone have problems with A/Ux Startup.

reg,
Kent

PS: Anyone for Usenix/Nashville?
--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.