non-apple disks

William R. Pearson wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU
Fri Jun 7 09:31:39 AEST 1991

	I have been puzzled by the recent discussion about using non-Apple
disks with AUX.  I am planning on purchasing a 210 Mbyte Quantum disk
that will be dedicated to AUX 2.01.  The latter will be purchased on CD-ROM.
The question: do I need to purchase Silverlining, or something like it?
The new disk will have nothing but AUX on it (or perhaps a little MacOS
to boot from?).  Will I be able to run the AUX partitioning utilities
without installing AUX so that I can run from the new non-Apple disk?

	Contrary to several comments about non-Apple disks, many unix
manufacturers make it easy both to format and partition third-party disks.
It is my understanding that "formatting" a SCSI-disk is very standard,
and usually unnecessary. It seems to be very simple to modify HD-Setup to
"recognize" non-Apple disks (after a quick look with SCSI-probe). Once
the disk is recognized, will HD-Setup do whatever necessary, or are there
additional tables in HD-Setup (in addition to the vendor's product name)
that must be changed?

Bill Pearson