More on tape drives

Hartmut Semken hase at netmbx.UUCP
Tue Jun 18 00:38:34 AEST 1991

jtalley at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James T Talley) writes:
>I'm using the '/dev/rmt/tc4n' device to archive large transient files
>that arrive on my system each night via UUCP.  My problem is that it
>seems that you have to make all the writes in one pass.  As long as I
>only make writes to '/dev/rmt/tc4n' device, I can continue writing
>files to a single cartridge.  As soon as I use the 'mt' command to
>reposition the tape, I start to get write errors and can no longer
>write more files at the end of the tape.  If I rewind and start over,
>I can start making multiple writes again.

I am having the same problem, but I used Tony Coopers st tape driver
with a Tandberg TDC3640 tape.

When trying to position the tape (using "tape" by Tony Cooper or mt) and
then writing, I get a message like "illeagal operation attempted".

First, I suspeckted the tape drive, but then, it works with FastBack II
under MacOS...

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase at netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)