transferring files across systems

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Sun Mar 24 09:17:09 AEST 1991

tdtyl at hubcap.clemson.edu (theodore d taylor) writes:

[explanation of ultrix-dos-mac deleted]

You know, I presume, that if your Mac is on the ethernet (or on
localtalk bridged to the ethernet and you're running NCSA telnet
under Mac OS) that you can ftp directly to/from your Mac.

Also, you can kermit directly to/from your mac, if you have a
serial connection to your ultrix box.

Finally, it is often possible to exchange Unix tar/cpio floppies with
A/UX, if you have a SuperDrive [which presumably you do, otherwise
you wouldn't be able to read your DOS disks with AFE.]

>Questions:
>
>    Is there any way that I can mount an MS DOS formatted
>    Diskette?

Yes, Access PC and DOS Mounter both allow you to do this, for example.

>    Does the procedure described above change the file in any
>    way?

No, unless your Macintosh file is of type TEXT, in which case it will
be "converted" to Unix text when you drag it across to the Unix
filesystem.

>                          T. D. Taylor

Bob