copying A/UX filesystem from one drive to another...

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Mar 8 15:43:54 AEST 1991

In article <3569 at ux.acs.umn.edu> pdills at ux.acs.umn.edu (Peter Dills) writes:
>I am interested in copying my filesystem from a Rodime 100Mb SCSI drive
>to a macIIci's 200Mb internal Cobra. I am not sure if I am doing this
>correctly but I tried using "dd" and had ok results. The only problem is
>that the 60Mb that I partitioned for / is not all available, which leads
>me to believe that I should have used "dump" or sothing like that.

dd isn't what you want. You've probably made the destination partition look
like the source partition, including its size- not a good idea.

Repartition the 200, and then use cpio with the "-p" (pass) option to move
everything over. Check the man page for cpio, but from memory:
1) unmount all other file systems (or they'll get copied too)
2) cd to the top directory of the tree you want copied
3) say "find . -depth -print > /tmp/filelist"
4) make a new file system on the 200 if you haven't already, and mount the
   partition you want on (for example) /a.
5) From the same directory where you did the find, "cpio -pdm </tmp/filelist"
   will move all the files. You can diddle the list by hand if you want.

Check the -m and -l options particularly. The man page recommends using -pdl
but I think -pdm is what you want.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis