A/UX 2.0.1 Q&A

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 23 05:54:52 AEST 1991

liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
>* ANSI C header file changes

Unfortunately, they still suffer from needing both _BSD_SOURCE and
_SYSV_SOURCE defined to compile large classes of programs. Someday I'll
patch this...

>* The u-dot structure in the kernel has changed, so if a device driver
>accesses the u_phys or any field located after u_phys, it needs to
>be recompiled with the new header files.

This probably will break gdb. A fixed version will be out Real Soon Now
(note: I don't _know_ that gdb is broken, but it definitely accesses
things after u_phys).

>* Don't place shared libraries on NFS mounted servers, this could cause
>A/UX system errors. Shared libraries should always reside on local
>file systems.

This may be true; however, we've been doing this since 2.0 came out with
not a system crash yet. I've tried it several times with 2.0.1 and no
ill effects have been forthcoming (we keep the X shared libraries on
/usr/local/shlib; /usr/local is on a SparcStation 2).

--John