ELM guides and troff

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Thu Mar 28 17:53:30 AEST 1991

I've just installed ELM on our system. (Patchlevel 11, from dsi.com.)

Everything seems to have gone OK, except that the various Guides that come
with ELM are so much garbage after being formatted. The formatting consists
of the command "tbl {a guide} | troff tmac.n -", and this fails silently. The
output file winds up containing lots of garbage.

On the other hand, I can produce almost-perfect Guides by piping them through
"tbl | nroff -man". (So those man macros are good for something after all :-).)

The question is, what's wrong, how do I fix it, and is it worth fixing?

Thanks,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis