WDEF A virus alert from DigiBoard

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 03:59:12 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar10.182133.23778 at digibd.com> merlyn at digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) writes:

>The WDEF virus doesn't try to do anything but
>replicate itself, but on newer machines (mac IIci and later) it crashes
>instead of reproducing, so it can't infect them.  It can be destroyed by
>rebuilding the desktop (hold down the option & command keys while booting
>or inserting a floppy), or with Disinfectant or other anti-virus software.

A/UX 2.0 is immune to the WDEF virus anyway (or it was at 2.0b3 - the Mac
compatibility of the final 2.0 release may be better!). It also appeared to be
fairly immune to nVIR - the System got infected but that didn't attach to
anything further.

We currently use the Disinfectant INIT with the MacPartition to boot into A/UX
and the A/UX shared System Folder - this is mostly for the benefit of
students, so that the System tells them if their floppies are infected.

Does Apple have anyone who keeps track of Mac viruses? Do A/UX releases get
tested for infectability?