Scripts to deal with A/UX's buggy UUCP

Tom Unger unger at mitem
Wed Mar 13 03:09:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar10.194813.10357 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>A few days ago I mentioned some scripts I had written to make life with A/UX's
>UUCP more bearable. As I got over a dozen requests, I'm posting both scripts
>here.
>
>The first one, uupoll, will call the named system up to a specified number of
>times. One key feature is that it will call again if the first connection

I too wrote a uupoll program when setting up uucp.  Mine is a bit
simpler, all it does is write a dummy control file to the spool
directory.  Next time uucico is run it will attempt to call any systems
that have control files.  uucico will retry (every hour by default)
until it gets through.  I run uucico every 15 minutes and don't mind
the backoff and retry strategy that uucico uses.

I also have a uugetty that allows both dial in and dial out on the same
line.  I don't know if it is the best solution but has been working OK
for me.

#!/bin/sh
#
# poll