A/UX 2.0.1 questions

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Fri Mar 8 11:21:06 AEST 1991

[Ok, I'll try to answer some of these questions...]

In article <1991Mar6.181713.5362 at nas.nasa.gov> lumpkin at amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Forrest E. Lumpkin) writes:

>1) Will A/UX 2.0.1 resolve the problem( undocumented feature:-) )
>   of only one Mac partition per physical device (hard drive)?

Well, the trick with patching _HFSDispatch in order to fake multiple
HFS volumes on one single volume has always been a hack, and thus
is not suppored by neither A/UX or MacOS.

>2) Will the bugs in the installation software be resolved. With the present
>   software intelligent use of dp is required unless one is setting up
>   a one A/UX partition (/) hard disk arrangement?

This is a scary area, where the installation program can't guess
all the possible arrangements that the administrator would wish
to have. I've tested both CMS and Silverlining for A/UX disk
partitioning, and even if their interfaces are bizarre, they do
their job quite well.

In some cases, like using LaCie hard disks, you have to use the
specific disk partition program in order to download the right
hard disk drivers.

Otherwise HD Setup with Apple harddisks asks for a rich set of
possible A/UX setups before the installation. The installation
software is quite different compared with the old A/UX 1.1
installation program.

>3) When will A/UX 2.0.1 be available? What is the planned upgrade policy?

>4) Finally, does anyone know what Apple's policy is on upgrading manuals.
>   We have the 1.1 manuals (user kit, administrator kit, sys admin kit)?

Sorry, I'm a network object hacker, not a marketing/sales being,
so I don't know a good answer to those questions.

Regards,
Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand at apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo