MacOS => A/UX porting woes

Jon W{tte d88-jwa at byse.nada.kth.se
Thu Mar 14 17:57:15 AEST 1991

In article <> sysmark at physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) writes:

   program is running.  However, the test program misbehaves in the same way
   as his program if it's compiled with gcc!  (His program, for what it's
   worth, misbehaves whether it's compiled with gcc or A/UX cc.)

gcc compiling needs some defines (-DAUX_SOURCE) and maybe a call to
setcompat() in the init phase of the program. This is handled automagically
by cc

   that just never showed up under MacOS), but by the fact that it's possible
   to hang the entire system when running under A/UX.  We'd both been under
   the impression that A/UX ran user processes in a protected mode, so that,
   as with other UNIXes, a buggy user-mode program could bugger itself but

Did you have a getty on one of the serial ports ? I always have,
so I can fire up a comm program on my girlfriends SE and kill -9
the mac when it hangs.

You can also try command-control-I (for interrupt) or command-control-E
(for exit) if you have MacsBug 6.2.anything installed. That ususally
gets you out of the mac environment. (You might have to type
^Jscreenrestore^Jstty sane^J by hand afterwards, though)

You could also use THINK C under A/UX 24bit mode, but you can't use the
built-in "Run" command, you have to build an application to test it.

Now, if Symantec hears this:

I WANT A A/UX-COMPATIBLE THINK C, THANK YOU ! (After all, I bought the
darned thing to get support...) Oh, well, I know how it is with users
shouting and management setting other priorities. C++ would be nice,
as would ANSI C, and extensible editor, (and/or better support for
external editors... like keyboard shortcuts in all dialogs !)

That's it.

							h+ at nada.kth.se
							Jon W{tte
--
"The IM-IV file manager chapter documents zillions of calls, all of which
seem to do almost the same thing and none of which seem to do what I want