rlogin problems

alanlb at csgrad.cs.vt.edu alanlb at csgrad.cs.vt.edu
Sat Mar 9 03:51:49 AEST 1991

Has anyone heard of problems with rlogging in from any UNIX machine to
an A/UX 2.0 machine?  I have accounts (same login ID) on two identical
machines named 'thor' and 'loki', both of which have entries in /etc/hosts.
If I create a .rhosts with just an entry for thor, that works.  On the
other hand, a single entry for loki does not.  The bad part is, the
problem sometimes goes away, in the following manner: if I have the correct
entries for both thor and loki, I can always rlogin from thor but not
loki.  But when I switch the two entries ('ddp' on vi), I suddenly become
able to rlogin from both!  As it is, the latter situation comes and
goes.  Any suggestions?

-alan