Novice administrator cron problem

James T. Talley talley at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Thu Mar 7 07:57:58 AEST 1991

I suspect that my question falls into the novice sys admin
category, but I thought that I would try it out here before
sending it to one of the heavy traffic unix newsgroups.

The problem is simple -- every job I put into a crontab file
seems to be run twice.  The cron log shows two separate entries
for each job and frequently the second one will give error
messages because the files it wants are busy.  This is on a Mac
IIci with A/UX 2.0.  The cron jobs I've tried are for system
accounting, UUCP (see example below), and simply testing the cron
problem.

So far I have RTFM, consulted the FAQL on comp.unix.questions,
and scanned comp.unix.admin, and tried a local newsgroup.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

James Talley
talley+ at osu.edu

Example crontab entry:
56 * * * * /bin/su uucp -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.hr > /dev/null"

Example cron log output:
>  CMD: /bin/su uucp -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.hr > /dev/null"
>  uucp 599 c Wed Feb 27 12:55:58 1991
<  uucp 599 c Wed Feb 27 12:55:59 1991
>  CMD: /bin/su uucp -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.hr > /dev/null"
>  uucp 605 c Wed Feb 27 12:56:00 1991
<  uucp 605 c Wed Feb 27 12:56:01 1991