A/UX 2.0.1 questions

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Wed Mar 27 05:12:11 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <12605 at goofy.Apple.COM>,
  ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
<
< Well, this is the danger, the customer happily both formats and partitions
< the disk, boots A/UX from the newly formatted and partitioned (and installed)
< disk, and suddenly the hard disk starts spewing SCSI commands sets that
< the A/UX dev driver don't know anything about. This is the dilemma in
< one sentence.
<
Simple question: Which SCSI commands does A/UX use that could conceivably
cause problems? Any CCS-compliant hard disk should work, shouldn't it?

 The only trouble I ever had was caused by the PER bit not being set, and
 A/UX getting confused about the size of the appropriate mode page while
 trying to rectify that -- and I think it could continue with PER clear
 without problems.
 Unfortunately I don't have the 2.0.1 device driver's kit, or I'd test it.

The answer may not be as simple; if it indeed isn't, this should probably
continue in email.

< And sure, it has nothing, nothing, to do with multiple HFS partitions
< (don't know who did that connection in the first place, not me).
<
The connection itself, however, is easy to make: Both are limitations imposed
by the HD Setup application which a lot of people don't like at all -- see
the resulting semi-flames. (Go to alt.flames if you want to see some real
ones. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/