A/UX 2.0.1 questions

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Thu Mar 14 14:09:48 AEST 1991

In article <"5d1i2.[x at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:

>Changing modes on a device is a function of the driver.
>Alexis wasn't asking to change the driver or any other characteristic of the
>hard disk, only to change the partition layout which should be an entirely
>different problem. Partition layouts are standardized in IM V, right?

Partition layouts are standardized in IM V, hard disk SCSI command
setups are defined by hard disk vendors. HD Setup does not work
with telepathy.

>< Anyway, if a customer reads that HD Setup can partition *any*
>< TPV hard disk, and tries with HD Setup, which can't possibly know
>< all the possible firmware programming setups and firmware control
>< codes for every TPV hard disk drive, then....
>See above.

Exactly. A lot of people believe that the hard disk problems they
encounter has to do with the partition map. Which is not the case
at all.

PS: Could we all have a slightly more civilized methology to communicate
on this newsgroup. I personally don't want comp.unix.aux become like
an alt.flame group where most of the time is spend flaming each others.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

Disclaimer: Personal activity done after 8.00pm