A/UX and System 7.0

Raman K. Sarin rsarin at aix01.aix.rpi.edu
Sun Mar 3 09:40:34 AEST 1991

In article <49811 at apple.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>In article <1991Mar01.213402.10109 at chinet.chi.il.us> henry at chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>>As there  hasn't been a System  Software update out  since I picked up
>>A/UX (well, 6.0.7 but it was mostly  bug fixes), I was wondering about
>>A/UX and System 7.0.  Do I need a  special version of  Sys 7 for A/UX,
>>if so, is it/will it be part of the A/UX 2.0.1 update?  Can I just use
>>Installer to put it into  the  appropriate System Folders?   Enquiring
>>minds want to know!
>
>MacOX emulation is provided by a layer that resides between the
>Macintosh application and the toolbox ROM and the A/UX kernel. Any
>new functionaly, like System 7, has to be taken into consideration in
>this layer - it does not help to just install a new MacOS system on
>top of A/UX. A/UX 2.0.1 does not have any System 7 features, because
>System 7 is not even officially released yet.

  In other words Kent, you can't tell us anything about system 7 and A/UX which
probably means that it's going to be a major pain to upgrade to 7 if you are
running AUX judging by Apple previous record.   Anyway, I've seen the system
7 beta release (having worked at a company that had good reason to have it)
and it's really very sharp, I must say, but while installing it I didn't notice
anything mentioning AUX, but then again I wasn't really paying much attention
to the system.

   Somebody mentioned the MACH10 OS for the Mac, and the number is
   1-800-6-MACH-10, and the add does depict a Mac Classic running the software.
   I've asked for an informational package, but it's not here yet, if
   anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate an answer.

And now my question:  In a previous article it's mentioned that inserting a
line like "TBMEMORY=10M" in your .login will allow the Mac shell to run with
10M of virtual memory, where do you put this line?  I have it in my personal
.login, and in the one at the root level but neither seems to do the trick,
Also I did read the manpage for Login, and couldn't see any references to
this variable there at all?   Any help please?

-Raman Sarin