trouble with 2.0.1 ftp upgrade

Robert Prohaska rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu
Sat Mar 30 11:05:38 AEST 1991

I've had a bit of trouble with the 2.0.1 upgrade, and hope
the wisdom of the net can set things right.

When I call shutdown from command shell the command runs, give
all the required prompts, and ends with a white screen and the
line "enter run level"  I tried a few numbers, but no matter
what I do the machine ends up logging me out, rather than putting
the mac in the stand alone shell.

I ended up doing the upgrade by calling init 1 from commandshell
and then following the rest of the instructions provided.  The
only errors were warnings that three files, /mac/bin/startmac,
/mac/bin/commandshell and one other /mac/bin file couldn't be opened, and one
file couldn't be created.  The root password was also done away with.

How does one get aux into "single user mode", and how (or should)
I fix the errors?

bob prohaska