Insufficient Space (was Re: Finder ulimit/Compactor1.3

Lars Pensj| lars at myab.se
Fri Mar 29 09:25:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar27.011854.4772 at intacc.uucp> mann at intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) writes:
>I was trying to install Quark using it's installer program.
>Even though I've got, oh about 400meg free, it says insufficient space.
>Also, I currently have A/UX set up with everything on one unix filesystem,

I have a similar case. When using Microsoft Words, I can't save to file,
becaue it will complain "not enough space". I have A/UX 2.0.

The interesting thing is that Words tells you how many Kbytes there are,
but this number is not a number, but a strange choice of character. Sometimes
it says "` Kbytes free" etc.

I do have 40 Mbytes free now. I have been able to save documents, but not
any longer. When I was able, it did report a figure that was lower than the
reality. I noticed that this figure was changed with the same amount as the
real disk free figure changed. But, when it passed the 0, and went below,
these strange characters started to appear instead.

It is just a hunch, but I have a feeling that the disk free space somewhere is
sqeezed into a signed 16 bit number, losing high order bits, even becoming
negative.

--
Lars Pensj|
lars at cd.chalmers.se