NFS problems (was Re: A/UX concerns)

maples at ddtisvr maples at ddtisvr
Sat Mar 2 12:43:06 AEST 1991

In article <6605 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>You might try running without starting the 'biod' processes.
>This will close one of the ways that you can get into trouble.
>It's not a complete solution, and it does have the disadvantage
>of reduced performance.  However, if it's a matter of getting
>work done or not, it's worth a try.

Nice try, but BZZZZZZZZTTTT!!!  In theory, this might work, but since
this is exactly the same advice we got here for our NFS problems, and
saw very little change, forget it.  Big links dont work. Period.

Apple: Face up to it... folks from MIT send us cordial notes saying:
"Oh yeah, the zero block error... told Apple about it months ago..."
Sun says: "Apple A/UX wont even pass a basic NFS config test under load"
Users say: "Stop ignoring this, you DO have a problem!"
I say: "I've been telling you this stuff for nine months!!!"

Please, wake up Apple!  Your NFS port is flawed,
1) Admit it.
2) Document it.
3) Patch it.
4) Release the next system without it.

--
Greg Maples                      | These are my opinions, not yours. Keep your
Systems Group Leader             | hands off 'em. They're also not the opinions