A/UX 2.0.1 questions

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Tue Mar 12 04:25:58 AEST 1991

In article <kbpvp8200UhBE1XgBI at andrew.cmu.edu> gf0c+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory S. Fox) writes:
>Kent Sandvik writes:
>
>> I've tested both CMS and Silverlining for A/UX disk partitioning, and even
>> if their interfaces are bizarre, they do their job quite well.
>
>> In some cases, like using LaCie hard disks, you have to use the specific
>> disk partition program in order to download the right hard disk drivers.
>
>  I've installed A/UX on a Cirrus 200 partitioned with Silverlining.  From
>some of the problems I've encountered, I thought the difficulty was with the
>A/UX generic driver.  Can you provide any more info on Silverlining/LaCie
>drives.

Sorry, there's a place for a clarification. Last week we tried to
install A/UX on one of those cute LaCie 165MB hard disks. The normal
trick of just dumping over the stuff (dd) resulted in bizarre behaviour,
the root partition worked OK, while the second partition (from the original
disk) did not work at all with the A/UX dev driver (complaining about 0x21
unsupported call).

Now we were short of time, so what we did was to partition the disk
with Silverlining, downloading the partition map from this program. After
that we dd:ed the root disk, and just to be secure we newfs and cpio:ed
the other partition. And behold, now it worked perfectly.

I'm not sure yet what was the original problem, eventually something
that the SilverLining partition program reprograms in the Hard disk
(disables some SCSI modes...). It also seems like there's a sanity
check somewhere in the drivers or the kernel, so one of the partitions
could be mounted during startup, while when the other was mounted it started to
scream. I have to look into this (later after I've finished a couple
of hundreds of hours of MacApp work).

Kent
--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored