Text editors under UNICOS?

David desJardins desj at idacrd.UUCP
Wed Aug 9 09:37:45 AEST 1989

>From article <27396 at ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster):
> My experience has been that it works well when you want to make
> small changes, as described below.  I agree that it makes a lot less
> sense to write a new program.  In fact, the best way to do handle
> the entire data sharing problem is probably an NFS file sharing
> system positioned in between your home machine and the compute
> server.

   I'm not sure that I follow this.  Does ``in between'' mean at the
remote user's site, or at the compute server's site?  (Surely it doesn't
mean halfway in between, say in Kansas somewhere.)  And do you mean that
the ``master'' copy resides on the compute server, or on the file
server?
   If the master copy resides on the file server then you find (for
example) that you need to transfer all of the ingredient files to the
compute server every time you wish to recompile a large package.  So
that seems unworkable.  On the other hand, if the master copy resides on
the compute server, then you have all of the problems of copying the
file from the compute server to the file server every time you wish to
edit it; it seems you might as well just copy it to your home machine.
   What exactly did you have in mind?

   -- David desJardins