Text editors under UNICOS?

Hugh LaMaster lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 23 01:38:41 AEST 1989

In article <12295 at well.UUCP> rchrd at well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) writes:
>In article <27289 at ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

>Hugh: MY experience is that editing directly on the CRAY is
>VERY frustrating  (UNICOS).  I have to log in via phonelines
>or networks and the delays both with UNICOS swapping and network
>make working with VI (say) almost impossible.  Having to wait

My experience has been that it works well when you want to make small changes,
as described below.  I agree that it makes a lot less sense to write a new
program.  In fact, the best way to do handle the entire data sharing problem
is probably an NFS file sharing system positioned in between your home
machine and the compute server.

The UNICOS scheduler leaves something to be desired, but it is OK.

>editing mistakes.  For small editing situations (changing a few
>syntax errors for example) its alright.  But any extensive

Practically speaking, there are times when you want to edit on the Cray and
times when you don't.  My point was simply that applying pseudo-moral reasons
to the decision is not helpful (e.g. "It is a misuse of a Cray to edit on it.
The Cray is too expensive/important/whatever to edit on... etc."

The Cray makes a very good editor when you want to make a small change to a
large file and reuse it immediately on the Cray.

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117